We offer several unique programs within our high-end, multi-specialty private practice, The Center for Special Dentistry (CSD). We are located on Madison Avenue in midtown Manhattan. All programs are under the direction of preeminent Professor Dr. Jeffrey Dorfman. Dr. Dorfman has taught hundreds of predental students, dental students and dentists for over three decades. In addition, Dr. Dorfman has previously been a professor at both Columbia & NYU dental schools for over twenty years combined. He attended The University of Pennsylvania for both college and dental school for a total of eight years. Our Dental School Admissions Consulting Program provides assistance with dental school admission.
Our unique Dental School Admissions Consulting Program (DSACP) is offered along with, or separately from, our unique PreDental Education & Advanced Dental Education Programs. Apply to one of our education programs (PreDental or Advanced) plus our Dental School Admissions Consulting Programs if you want to learn high-end multi-specialty cosmetic, implant & reconstructive dentistry – and you want the best chance to gain admission to a U.S. dental school.
Summary of our three dental school programs
1. PreDental Education Program – This program is described in another section. “Dental Internship” or “Dentist Shadowing” – teaches all aspects of dental practice to predental students in a high-end multi-specialty midtown Manhattan practice. Students are immersed in all facets of dental practice including education in general & cosmetic dentistry, all dental specialties, psychological management of patients, dental practice management, dental practice software and internet dentistry. Most students in this #1 PreDental Education program also choose to enroll in #3 The Dental School Admissions Consulting Program.
2. Advanced Dental Education Program – This program is described in another section. “Dental Internship” or “Dentist Shadowing” – teaches all aspects of dental practice to dental students & dentists in a high-end multi-specialty midtown Manhattan practice. Our Advanced Dental Education Program is for American-trained and foreign-trained dentists and dental students from around the world who want to increase their knowledge of dentistry. This informal program teaches multi-specialty diagnosis, treatment planning, behavior management and treatment skills. Our focus is on super premium Oral Rehabilitation Dental Reconstruction. Students do not personally treat patients. This program does not offer a school degree, continuing education (CE) credit nor dental license. Most students in this #2 Advanced Dental Education Program also choose to enroll in #3 The Dental School Admissions Consulting Program.
3. Dental School Admissions Consulting Program – This program is described on this page below. Offers help and guidance for predental students, dental students and dentists when applying to a U.S. dental school. Consulting may occur in our office, by phone &/or Skype. Students may enroll only in this Dental School Admissions Consulting Program without enrolling in Programs #1 or 2 described above.
About The Center for Special Dentistry® (CSD) Dental Practice:
The Center for Special Dentistry® in New York City welcomes patients from around the world who seek Creative Solutions for Complex Dentistry®. We are a Multi-Specialty Cosmetic, Implant and Reconstructive dental practice that offers super premium dental care quickly and comfortably. We are a “fee-for-service practice” and do not participate with managed care dental insurance plans. The practice also offers dentistry for people who suffer from dental phobia.
Many pre-dental students are in our office each day. It is a fun and stimulating, private practice/academic environment. The headquarters of 1dentist, LLC, the Internet Dentistry company, is also located in this office. 1dentist, LLC owns 600+ worldwide dentist urls and provides over 4,400 pages of free dental content created in-office and seen on this website and, for example, on LinkowLibrary.org. 1dentist, LLC has been online since 1998. Office tour.
The Dental School Admissions Consulting Program:
* One-on-one mentorship in building a strong and unique dental school application
* DAT preparation guidance
* Dental school selection guidance
* Primary application guidance
* Resume guidance
* Personal statement guidance
* Letter of recommendation guidance
* Letter of recommendation – At his sole discretion Dr. Dorfman may also write a letter of recommendation for extraordinary students he has personally known for more than just several full-time months. However this is not guaranteed merely by participation in this program. This is important for his recommendations to be valued by dental schools. Please do not attend our program if you do not understand and agree.
* Secondary application guidance
* Interview guidance
* Post interview guidance (Update letters, post-interview thank you letters, and waitlist letters)
* FAQ guidance
* Guidance for the non-competitive applicant
* Guidance for high school students
* Opportunity to participate in our Predental Internship or Advanced Dental Education programs
* Ten hours of Dr. Dorfman’s personal time is allotted in total per chosen time period.
Our Dental School Admissions Consulting Program may, or may not, help our students get admitted into a U.S. dental school. Interested applicants may view what some of our
Our Academic Calendar
We offer two programs: 1) one year duration, and 2) July – August. Some students choose to study with us for two or three years because they enjoy the greater depth of their learning or they have predental or dental school prerequisites to fulfill. Please note that we typically work a four day week so students have long weekends from Friday to Sunday to enjoy all that New York City has to offer – or to study for the DATs – or get a part-time job. We also take many full weeks off – especially during the summer – so it is the student’s responsibility to plan their visits with this in mind. We also have students attend for only the summer. We cannot guarantee the type or amount of dentistry that will be seen during any time period. We reserve the right to terminate any student studying with us at any time for any reason.
Dental School Admissions Consulting Program Application
Please read this information and our website carefully. Applicants must intend to attend dental school (or be dental students or dentists) to apply to this program.
There is not an application form. You may send your cover letter, resume, three recommendations and photo via email, US mail, FedEx and/or fax (212) 754-5731. If using email please send your resume and recommendations contained within the body of your email; only your photo may be a jpeg attachment. Recommendations may also be sent directly to us. We don’t open attachments from unknown sources.
Your references must NOT be from family or friends. An invitation to interview does not imply acceptance into our program so applicants should make travel plans accordingly. It is possible to arrange a remote interview via Skype, and/or have a family member or friend visit our office, if the applicant is unable to visit us for an interview.
Application Fee and Tuition for the Dental Schools Admissions Consulting Program
The application fee is $35.
The tuition fee for our Dental Schools Admissions Consulting Program is $1,000 per hour (two-hour minimum retainer) or $7,500 for ten hours (paid in full to start). Some need-based discounts may be possible for participants who are also enrolled in our predental program. This can be discussed if you are invited to an interview.
Payments may be made via check from a U.S. bank, credit card or bank wire transfer. Checks should be made out to 1dentist, LLC and sent via US mail or FedEx. Payment must be made before your application will be processed. Alternatively you may call us to pay via credit card or wire transfer. Wire transfer or other fees may not be deducted from the payment. The application fee is necessary to help reduce the quantity of non-serious applicants. Note that your email may not be secure so call our office if necessary to make your payment.
Fees are due the first day and will allow students the opportunity to participate within our program. The fees cover the basic expenses incurred by your participation during these time periods and will not be prorated over differing time periods nor refunded for partial participation. For example, participating in our program for only six weeks during the summer does not result in a discount off the fees listed above.
If necessary, international applicants who have been accepted into our programs may obtain a letter of acceptance that they may use to apply for a U.S. visa. The letter will state the expected duration of study with us. There is no cost. If however an accepted applicant specifically requests a visa letter then there is an $800 fee. In addition tuition must be paid for the time period specified. There is no guarantee that the visa will be granted. There are no refunds.
For example, consider an international applicant who has been accepted to study with us for the summer and needs a visa letter that says they will be with us for the summer. The fee that must be paid before we will write the visa letter is $800 + the Ten Hour Tuition Fee..
Our Dental Student Blog – over 75 blogs
Dental Schools Admissions Consulting Program Contact
Happy Chief of Staff
The Center for Special Dentistry®
Dr. Jeffrey Dorfman, Director
425 Madison Avenue – Suite 500
New York, NY 10017 USA
Email or (212) 758-1000
Dental Schools Admissions Consulting Program Reviews written by students
I was a full time student with Dr. Jeff Dorfman for about a year and met many students who had stayed for two or three years full time. The Center for Special Dentistry is a unique place that has offered dental internships for 25 years. I don’t know of any other place like it where college students with no experience can be allowed to watch and learn how to treat some of the most complicated cases in dentistry. I’ve been exposed to multi-specialty cosmetic reconstruction that I don’t believe I could have learned elsewhere. There’s a great group of cosmetic dentists and specialists in the office who are willing to teach you. Dr. Dorfman wants to see which students make the most effort before he decides to spend his time teaching them individually.
Do not interview with him unless you are fully prepared and know all about the program and the practice from the website. Otherwise, you might get grilled and won’t be invited back. I said I had some experience working in a dental office. Dr. Dorfman then asked me some questions that I should have been able to answer, such as the name of the final filling material used during root canal treatment(gutta-percha). Though I’m typically very calm and collected during interviews, on this particular day I froze and couldn’t come up with the answer. Dr. Dorfman could tell that my knowledge of dentistry was very limited despite what I claimed. I was fortunate to be invited back, but being honest with your experience and background can go a long way.
Dr. Dorfman can be really nice and funny despite new students being frequently intimidated. He was always willing to help me. He wrote a nice letter of recommendation for my dental school application and even personally called each Dean of Admission before each interview.
Hi, I am currently an intern at Dr. Dorfman’s Center for Special Dentistry and I also wanted to add a few insights: The intention of the practice is to offer patients extremely high-end dental care. All dentists & specialists in the office are encouraged to take as long as they need to perform dentistry as well as possible. Patients leave happy, well informed and with a new friend; Dr. Dorfman really cares about the patients and their dentistry. You cannot work for what you don’t know exists. I never even considered that a world outside of insurance dentistry existed before I came to this office. It’s a hard thing to achieve, and you have to work really hard to make it work, but it opens up your options as a dentist. Dr. Dorfman has been a pro bono professor (teaching for free) at both Columbia and NYU dental schools for nearly 20 combined years. For over 12 years dental students were legally allowed to treat charity dental cases in the office for extremely low fees; this program ended in June 2010.
A high school mentorship program also exists in the office to help educate inner city kids. I have learned a ton of dentistry and have made some potentially life long friends. Dr. Dorfman offers a great deal on a partnership track to the very best of the former interns after dental school graduation. A small fee is charged to students to cover the cost of their participation, but it is well worth it. I really recommend this program!
I worked in Dr. Dorfman’s office for 3 years and learned more than I ever could have imagined when I applied for the program. Just like any other job you gain more responsibility and a greater understanding for things as time goes on. You get out of the program, what you put in it. The more days you spend in the office, the more you will learn. Dr. Dorfman observes the learning curve of each of the students and pays attention to your willingness and efforts in the office. When he can, he will share with you what he is working on and introduce treatment planning and educate you on different cases. He practices intelligently and teaches you about the business side of dentistry as well. Before this program I did not realize all that it took to run a practice and am extremely grateful for everything that I have learned. I will use all the skills that Dr. Dorfman has taught me for the rest of my life and implement many of them in my career!
In turn, the students that were more active took advantage of what the program had to offer and got to know everyone in the office. Dr. Dorfman is EXTREMELY giving and wants his students to succeed. I HIGHLY recommend this program and encourage everyone to apply! There is nothing else like it.